Based on the legal procedures of a psychological evaluation, it can cause strain and spoil the entire experience if one does not have a complete idea of what to expect. It can also leave you feeling that you will never want to go for it again. Therefore, this article clarifies all the essential doubts and shares general tips and tricks for this evaluation. Always remember that the evaluative interview is a golden opportunity to share the story and clear all the doubts one-on-one. The client may seek guidance from his/her lawyer to learn how to present themselves throughout the assessment. Continue reading to learn more.
About Immigration Psychological Evaluation
When an individual opts for immigration, a particular immigration report is required for which attorneys get pursued. These lawyers handle this entire procedure and ask their clients to get an evaluation report. They also help them to clear the process and secure the settlement in the desired country. The evaluation is similar to a personal interview. The immigration psychological evaluation includes personality observation, psychological tests, and diagnosis.
Psychologists examine all the aspects of one’s life, such as personal history, how they grew up, their relationship with others, including their partner, if any and parenting if they have any children. So, if it’s an asylum country the lawyer will seek to receive the overall psychological impact that one has had in their life and derive documents to support their case. And then at last are a few recommendations given. Let us know the details below.
The Evaluation Toolbox
The evaluation starts with the strategy of a clinical interview which involves a face-to-face interview and answering a set of questionnaires on a computer. The objective is to deeply understand the client and get an overview of their life. They also try to find the existence of any personal issues and other issues that might cause any obstruction in the process.
This method does not get carried out in a trained or specific way. It starts right when the client enters the room and ends after his/her leaving. The psychologist observes the client throughout the evaluation and seeks a detailed analysis of their behavior and code of conduct.
This again includes questionnaires like Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory and Rorschach Psychodiagnostic Test. The objective is to gather attitudes towards different perspectives of life and in different environments. It also aims to gain their current mental health status and past personal issues.
Cognitive Functioning Tes
It is a specific test for individuals having autism spectrum disorders, disruptive behavior disorders, and cognitive disabilities. It is meant to help such people and derive the most suitable programmes for them. When a child gets evaluated, they also aim to find if he/she has thrived their senses.
How To Prepare For The Evaluation?
The first thing to know is that there won’t be any questions to which the client won’t know the answer. Each question is asked about the individual’s own life. So, one just has to relax and structure the answer accordingly. Here are some helpful things that will help to get prepared.
- Write down the important issues or dates of your life.
- Bring any documents that you think are necessary. They could be related to your marriage, divorce, date of birth, etc.
- If you are a parent, consider bringing documents related to your children. It could be a report card, date of birth, photographs, drawing sheets, etc.
- There will be a memory test, and bringing any essential documents will help you qualify smoothly.
- It is also advisable to research and gain some information about your psychologist beforehand.
- When it comes to discussing personal issues, go with the flow. Do not frame your answers beforehand. You may think of what you want to share or what not. But answer in a straight line with calmness. It must seem surreal.
- Make sure all the information that you provide is authentic. Do not try to outsmart the psychologist or hide anything in nervousness.
- Remember that these people are highly qualified, and they will even recognize and understand things that are not inherently visible.
- Calmly complete all the tests. Do not leave any of it incomplete.
- If you are a person dealing with any disorder, don’t hesitate. The evaluator is there to help and get through immigration. Keep this in mind.
- In case you have been a victim of human trafficking or domestic violence, be open about it. Share your experience honestly. You may leave the delicate details but don’t lie.
- Avoid any kind of disagreements that may lead to arguments. At all costs leave the interview in harmony and peace.
Thus, all of these tests in the evaluation process are an opportunity that provides a window into an individual’s mind and character. They get utilized for several purposes, such as checking the mental well-being of a first responder, evaluating a person for a job, and identifying emotional/mental/behavioral problems that affect a person’s ability to function in society. Moreover, they aim to determine what programs work best with targeted populations in need of services.
The simple words of guidance about what to expect, to bring collateral contacts, to provide records, and be open and honest, are the best tips and tricks. So to turn what can be an anxiety-evoking experience into one in which a client feels heard and understood, follow these rules. And take this evaluation as an opportunity to share your life story with an expert.
Each psychologist has the responsibility to assure fair treatment for all the clients and transparently attempt to anticipate their problems. So, there is no reason to worry about any unfair conduct. Moreover, whatever happens in the room is a piece of evidence that will get utilized in the court for the immigration process. And in 99% of cases, the answer is positive. Therefore, just take evaluations as a worthy chance to learn more about yourself and receive counseling about your experiences and symptoms. All the best.